Please click here to view our message board Terms and Guidelines.
Inhalant Abuse Prevention
Register
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #1 
We burried my sister yesterday. She was found dead in her bed surrounded by duster cans. She was 38 years old and left behind 2 young boys. She had been using for many years. She had isolated herself from everyone. She would sit in parking lots for hours on end using her cans. She lost her job, her home and even custody of her children. She was covered in burns and scars from the frostbite. She fell and broke her nose so many times that she permently disfigured her face. Our family tried so hard to help her and get her off of this horrible stuff. She was in rehab. The night she died she had gone to a rehab group meeting. This is a horrible addiction that needs to be discussed more...more attention and education and laws need to occur. If you are struggling with this...please stop..it will eventually kill you. For those who have lost someone to this disgusting habit...my heart goes out to you.
Anyonehere

Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. And thank you for posting - this has been a wake-up call for me. You are right- this is an awful addiction and it needs more discussion because part of the problem is that many people (including myself) are embarrassed to talk about it or try to get help because as soon as you say - I'm addicted to huffing cans of duster, its usually met with a look of ridiculousness.. and prior to myself becoming addicted, i would have scoffed at someone the same way because it sounds so lame. But, its terrible and so hard to quit. Again, thanks for posting and i am so, so sorry to hear about your sister
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #3 
Please do not be embarrassed about asking for help. Nothing is too embarrassing if it can save your life. People are completely uneducated in this issue but that needs to change. Please take care of yourself and stay away from that stuff.
Anyonehere

Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #4 
So, i hate to ask because i don't want to seem insensitive or be invasive... but, how did she die? I mean, what physically happens? I'm asking because when you've been doing this for years (as i have) it seems safe.. normal... when i hear of people dying, i just assume it was something that can't happen to me. I guess because i don't really know what happens, its hard to believe it's a real possibility.
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #5 
She had used for many years. It is called sudden sniffing death. It caused her to have s massive heart attack (she did not have any other cardiac problems) and she vomited and choked to death on her own vomit.
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #6 
These are all ways that huffing csn cause death...not to mention the damage that can occur to your brain, liver, kidneys, bone marrow...it is very harmful on the body.
asphyxiation — from repeated inhalations that lead to high concentrations of inhaled fumes, which displace available oxygen in the lungs; Cardiac arrest
suffocation — from blocking air from entering the lungs when inhaling fumes from a plastic bag placed over the head;
convulsions or seizures — from abnormal electrical discharges in the brain;
coma — from the brain shutting down all but the most vital functions;
choking — from inhalation of vomit after inhalant use; or
fatal injury — from accidents, including motor vehicle fatalities, suffered while intoxicated.
jonnyh

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #7 
I too lost a sibling to this horrible addiction. It is a very hard one to kick. He was addicted to many other substances before this one, but the duster is very hard to get off of, too addicting. He was found in his garage, he had fallen and hit his head, but the autopsy report was 1;1 diflouroethane toxicity. So it basically poisoned him. Finally, after doing 118 cans..that was his week long binge and those were the cans we found in the house. He also had an enlarged heart and his lungs were slowly disintegrating. So you ask what it does to you... what does it not do to you. It is a drug that seems a bit easy to hide that you are doing , but inside it is destroying a person's body. I know my brother was in denial about it harming his body. He also left behind a 4 year old daughter. It is all so senseless and sad to know that a cleaner they sell in mass quantities to anyone, as many times in a row can be found at Wal-Mart and Staples on end caps and can be so deadly to some. I am so sorry to hear it has claimed another life, I wish I knew what we could do to stop this from happening to anyone else, but I'm not sure, the companies claim there is a warning label and that covers their ass. It is ridiculous and it is killing more than we know. I hope you find peace, it is difficult, but I feel my brother is finally at peace. It seems far too soon, and for us, it was only a year after our father passed. 
__________________
Jennifer Pliske
Anyonehere

Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I am sorry for everyone i read about who has lost a loved one and i am so grateful that you come here and share with us. I come and read these everyday in an effort to make it click and make myself realize that this could be me... And it's helping- i can't say I've stopped, but I'm trying. As you mentioned, this addiction is unbelievably difficult to overcome..but I'm still trying.
And, to add to your comments on the accessibility of this drug - what manufacturers would need to do to make sure it isn't abused is add a bitterant that causes vomiting when ingested. There's one manufacturer who has a bitterant that is so disgusting that when i taste it, it causes gagging. If they all tasted like that, i would never touch it again.
scorpiosmom11

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #9 
I am also so sorry for the loss of your sister.  My 26 yr old daughter has been using duster for a few years now.  She ended up in the hospital with a kidney infection....The duster affects major organs in your body.  She was told it was a kidney infection by the doctors because she didn't tell them what she did. Her urine test was "lit up" to use the doctor's words.  She was throwing up horribly.  The chemicals attacked her liver. Bile was all that was coming out because she had nothing else to throw up.  When she got out of the hospital, she used the stuff again. Came home and had her left cheek swelling up. I took her to the hospital...again, throwing up, shaking, almost passing out.  I didn't know she was doing it at that time. They said it was an insect bite that caused cellulitis.  NOW I KNOW DIFFERENTLY. It was all due to the duster. Her hands shake somewhat also. Neurological problems that may or may not go away if she stops using.  This is real bad stuff, but she's embarrassed so didn't ask for help..until recently when she did it, had pains in her kidneys again, throwing up again and went back to the ER.  Now she's entering group sessions with a one on one counselor besides the group. She's upset about the group because she's embarrassed to say she does this dirty thing. It's a dirty little secret none of her friends know about. We have caught her several times, but there are many times she's done it and gotten away with it. She always said she wasn't addicted. Now she knows otherwise.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please click here to view our message board Terms and Guidelines.