Please click here to view our message board Terms and Guidelines.
Inhalant Abuse Prevention
Register
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #1 
We burried my sister yesterday. She was found dead in her bed surrounded by duster cans. She was 38 years old and left behind 2 young boys. She had been using for many years. She had isolated herself from everyone. She would sit in parking lots for hours on end using her cans. She lost her job, her home and even custody of her children. She was covered in burns and scars from the frostbite. She fell and broke her nose so many times that she permently disfigured her face. Our family tried so hard to help her and get her off of this horrible stuff. She was in rehab. The night she died she had gone to a rehab group meeting. This is a horrible addiction that needs to be discussed more...more attention and education and laws need to occur. If you are struggling with this...please stop..it will eventually kill you. For those who have lost someone to this disgusting habit...my heart goes out to you.
Anyonehere

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. And thank you for posting - this has been a wake-up call for me. You are right- this is an awful addiction and it needs more discussion because part of the problem is that many people (including myself) are embarrassed to talk about it or try to get help because as soon as you say - I'm addicted to huffing cans of duster, its usually met with a look of ridiculousness.. and prior to myself becoming addicted, i would have scoffed at someone the same way because it sounds so lame. But, its terrible and so hard to quit. Again, thanks for posting and i am so, so sorry to hear about your sister
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #3 
Please do not be embarrassed about asking for help. Nothing is too embarrassing if it can save your life. People are completely uneducated in this issue but that needs to change. Please take care of yourself and stay away from that stuff.
Anyonehere

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #4 
So, i hate to ask because i don't want to seem insensitive or be invasive... but, how did she die? I mean, what physically happens? I'm asking because when you've been doing this for years (as i have) it seems safe.. normal... when i hear of people dying, i just assume it was something that can't happen to me. I guess because i don't really know what happens, its hard to believe it's a real possibility.
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #5 
She had used for many years. It is called sudden sniffing death. It caused her to have s massive heart attack (she did not have any other cardiac problems) and she vomited and choked to death on her own vomit.
Nicks18

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #6 
These are all ways that huffing csn cause death...not to mention the damage that can occur to your brain, liver, kidneys, bone marrow...it is very harmful on the body.
asphyxiation — from repeated inhalations that lead to high concentrations of inhaled fumes, which displace available oxygen in the lungs; Cardiac arrest
suffocation — from blocking air from entering the lungs when inhaling fumes from a plastic bag placed over the head;
convulsions or seizures — from abnormal electrical discharges in the brain;
coma — from the brain shutting down all but the most vital functions;
choking — from inhalation of vomit after inhalant use; or
fatal injury — from accidents, including motor vehicle fatalities, suffered while intoxicated.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please click here to view our message board Terms and Guidelines.