Please click here to view our message board Terms and Guidelines.
Inhalant Abuse Prevention
Sign up
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
jonnyh

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #1 
I have posted before on this site about the air duster killing my brother and the autopsy report confirmed it. They considered the cause of death an accident, but the primary cause of death was difluoroethane toxicity. So basically he overdosed on it, he did have a fall that we wondered about how much that had to do with his death, but this report didn't even mention the fall. He also had a grossly enlarged heart, which I believe was more than likely caused by the air duster as well. We estimated that he was using it for at least a year and a half, he would never really admit when he started, but when we go back to our own time lines as to when he started consistently losing track of time when he said he would meet you to do something, we believe he was using the duster. I guess I am posting this to let people know how awful this stuff is, yes there should be more regulations on purchasing it but most people tell me that most people use it for its intended use, that this is such an unusual addiction. I have never seen something have such a grip on someone like this did, he had a 4 year old daughter to live for, he had a good job (lost it due to the duster), he had a supportive family (we got him help with inpatient rehab and counselors 2x in 6 months). I really still don't know what the answer was for my brother, maybe there was no answer, but it is hard to believe that this was how his life was supposed to end. He was our baby brother and if someone told me his life would end this way...I would have never believed them. Such an awful way to go, the people that have lived to tell how much of a grip it has on them, I believe it because there seemed to be nothing that would stop my brother from using this crap...we felt we did all we could do for a 44 year old grown man to help him out of this, but it had a grip on him like no other. If anyone has any ideas on how to fight for regulations to get people to understand that places like Wal-Mart and Staples will sell several cases of this stuff to people in consecutive days..let us know (my older brother and I), it is ridiculous how much of this he bought at the same stores in a short time frame. We found 118 cans in the house, we figure this covered his one week binge to his death. We have most of the receipts and could track where he bought most of it, but never seemed to be the same cashier, I even looked for that detail to these receipts. It just doesn't seem like so much should be sold to one person, but so hard to regulate. 
__________________
Jennifer Pliske
Partnerisanaddict

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm so sorry for your loss. It really is hard to wrap your mind around how this is even possible. From reading all these posts it always seems to end in loss of life. It's horrible scary and sad. My babies father is 44 doing the same thing. So far he's been to treatment and now jail for a huffing charge. I guess I can't even understand how someone gets to the point they even start this to begin with.I hope your family can heal
jonnyh

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #3 
I really hope he can find the help he needs. My older brother and I noticed that most cases do end in death. It's almost like it can't be stopped unless the person decides to stop. I also think they don't realize the damage it is doing to their body. I would say almost for sure that is what caused his heart to be enlarged. It really is some kind of silent killer people don't know about. We were so surprised when we found out he was doing it. It is so addictive, it contains a chemical that is a sister chemical to what they administer to people when they put them under. It is crazy these cans aren't regulated more or something we aren't sure of the answer because I know most people use it for it's appropriate use. Hope your baby's dad can quit this stuff because it is for sure a death sentence. Good luck. 
__________________
Jennifer Pliske
scorpiosmom11

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #4 
I wish and pray that all these inhalants can be taken off the market, but they can't.  People use them for the correct purposes so those who abuse inhalants can continue to purchase them and use.  Selling to people over 18 doesn't even help. My daughter is 26 and uses dust off very often we found out. She knows it can kill her at any time...and has known that for a while. Still she continues to use. she was recently caught doing it in her car. Someone in the parking lot found her unresponsive and called the cops. An ambulance took her to the hospital. Now she's ordered to get help. You see, she's on probation for a DUI and the report ended up on her PO's desk. Her name was put thru a database and up she popped.  I think that was a blessing in disguise. She does too.   Being addicted to duster is an embarrassment for her. She says NOBODY does that stuff.  It's a dirty little secret she has and is afraid to discuss it. Now she will have to at group sessions and one on one counseling.  Whoever that person was who spotted her in her car and called the cops was a guardian angel. God Bless them wherever they are~!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please click here to view our message board Terms and Guidelines.